Friday, January 2, 2009

Last Day in Joska

Hey, hey!

We just got home from our last visit in Joska. After breakfast we went to the CCRC to get shovels and picks, and then we walked down a long dusty path to where we would dig ditches for the water pipes. It was more than a blessing to be a part of--the Joska community enthusiastically came with us, offering their help as we dug. The team work was awesome...seeing how excited the community was about this project. We worked hard! Still, no matter how hard we tried, even the smallest Kenyan children seemed to put us to shame with their strength and endurance! We made a lot of progress, and I know that when the water project is completed it will bring so much joy and happiness into the community. Hopefully many of us will get to come back and see it completed!

After a morning of digging, we ate lunch and then went to another new children's home that no 410 team has ever visited. It was called Stream Tree. We were greeted in the most incredible way--literally with songs, smiles, and BIG hugs from all of the women there. The children were singing and clapping, all smiling at these strange new visitors that were in front of them.

We received a tour of the campus--it is definitely a work in progress, and they have many needs; however, it is a beautiful place filled with so much love for the children and an inspirational focus on God. After the tour, some of us had the opportunity to receive a cooking lesson making chapates (not sure how to spell it...it's pronounced cha-PAH-teez). We helped make a few chapates and then served the children lunch. They had a chapate, slaw, and a spoon of beef stew. When it came time to say goodbye, the children of Stream Tree sang us a few praise songs and then some of the kids (who had walked a long distance to see us one more time at this new home...) sang "Who Am I". I believe it had almost every one of us in tears. Their songs seem to be the ultimate example of worship. When they sing, you know they are singing for Him--it's so beautiful.

We said goodbye to our new friends at Stream Tree, to the CCRC kids that came, and to the 410 Bridge council members from CCRC. It was an emotional day, saying goodbye to people that we have come to know and love dearly. They continue to tell us over and over what a blessing we are to them--they have no idea how big of a blessing they are to us. It's indescribable.

It's been an amazing week that each of us will remember forever. Each individual that we have met during our stay here will remain in our hearts. We will continue to carry them with us in our prayers, doing everything we can to support the work that God is doing to this nation. We can't wait to share stories and pictures with you, so that you can catch a glimpse of how God has moved in our lives while we were here.

Tomorrow we will have our safari (yay!!) and then spend the night in Lake Nakuru. Sunday morning we will go shopping (for many of you!) and then we fly out around 6 pm from the Nairobi airport. Thank you so much for checking these blogs and giving us your encouraging words. We'll see you Monday morning!!

In Him,
The 410 Bridge Team

11 comments:

  1. Meredith...
    Happy New Year! Your Dawgs won 24-12...yeah!
    Rest up for your safari ... you might have to run from something! Jus' kiddin' : )

    We miss you & are excited about hearing your happenings and sites and seeing your pics. Bet you're loving all the hugs...and hearing their singing.

    Channing asked me to tell you "I miss you"!
    kisses and hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shay,
    Wow what an awesome way to bring in the new year. Praise God for the work he is doing in and through you and your team. I am very excited to see all that the Lord will do through this effort. Love you girl, may God bless you greately for what you are doing. Praying for good health and rest for you and your team.
    Seeking him with you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I am so proud of you and I know that every single person that you met was blessed by your sweet spirit and smiling face! I hope that your last day there is wonderful and Bobby, Brett, Annie and I will be praying for your safe return!!!! Love to you!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dusty,
    I am proud of you and your group,sounds like you knew how to do alot of the work, I know you were a valuable asset to the people there and your team, keep up the good work ,and again I am very proud to have you as my son,have fun on your safari,take me some pictures ,I will pray for you and the teams safe return,love you and miss you , Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dusty,

    Just checking in on you and the team. I can't wait to see the photo's and hear all of your exciting stories.
    I know that this is a great trip but we have all missed you very much and can't wait for you to come home.
    Please don't forget to let me know what time that I am to pick you and your friends up at the airport on Monday.
    We will keep all of you in our prayers for your safety on the safari and your return home.
    Much Love to you Always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meredith,
    I sure hope someone got a picture of you "digging a ditch." (Definitely a scrapbook page waiting to happen.) I know you were blessed by the children's hugs and singing. I wish you could bring a few of them home with you! The dentist was closed today, but I'll call first thing Monday morning. Enjoy the safari and have safe travel back. See you soon! Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sis,
    Sounds like ya'll had a busy day today but I know what you all did made a difference for the people there. I bet it was an increadible moment getting to hear all of the children sing to you. Were you by chance one of the team members that learned how to cook that african dish, if so I'm impressed. We can't wait for you to make them for us... I hope that you enjoy your safari day tomorrow, get some great pictures of that too. Be safe as you travel home, I hope to see you soon and hear all about your amazing journey. I love you Sis, be careful.
    Journey Strong!
    Love,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna, We can hardly wait for your return. Be safe and travel wisely. See you soon.
    Love, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meredith,

    I have tears in my eyes as I imagine those children singing "Who Am I" - what a beautiful sight! I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    We miss you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer

    Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time!!!

    We will miss you at church on Sunday!!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meredith,

    Wow..what an adventure God has had you on! We can't wait to hear all about it when you return. Aren't the kids truly one of the best blessings that God gives each of us. I am trying to imagine you digging a ditch...and I'm almost there with that picture!! Have fun on the safari tomorrow...take lots of pics and if you see a giraffe or a zebra--well...those are my favorites!!! I'll be thinking and praying for you!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete